Saying Farewell to Sandi Lewis

Grief clouded the halls and sentiment filled social media following the passing of retired MCDS faculty member, Mrs. Sandi Lewis. Over her thirty -plus years here, she had many roles, including Drama, Music and English teacher, Chair of the Drama Department, Literary Magazine Sponsor and Cheerleading coach.

Every student or faculty member I interviewed all recognize the unique bond she formed with everyone she met. Head of School Dr. John Davies acknowledged that in an email to the community,  noting “she touched the lives of countless students, parents, faculty and staff.”

Steve Mathes agrees. “Of all the teachers I’ve known, she endeared herself to more students than any other teacher I can think of…Her concern and respect for students as people brought out respect for her. It was almost a love affair between she and her students.” The significance of the relationships formed between her and her students is one reason, he noted the current “outpouring of love for her.”

Students and faculty alike are reflecting on memories with her. Senior Daniel Dana shares that she was like a grandmother to him and recalls,  “Every class with her was an adventure as we would either get distracted at start talking about her passion for Broadway or listen to her singing.”

Director of Alumni Christine Chancy ‘08 shared that throughout “her 32 years at Miami Country Day School, Ms. Lew had a tremendous impact on the lives of her colleagues, students, current parents, alumni and alumni parents. She cared deeply about the success of her students, and also took a personal interest in each and every one of their lives after their time at Country Day. Ms. Lew will be remembered forever and will truly be missed. Love you too Ms. Lew!”

Similarly, 12th grader Jonathan Choeff wrote:  “Ms. Lewis was one of my favorite teachers I have ever had. She was one of the kindest people I have ever met. Her presence brought joy to so many… I will forever cherish all of the memories I had with her, from making her coffee to singing Tomorrow with her every day at the end of class. I know she is looking down at all her students with happiness seeing all of the impact she had on so many people’s lives.”

The funeral for Ms. Lew took place on Sunday, January 28th in North Lauderdale. She is survived by her daughter Samantha (Class of ‘86) and her son Steven.

If anyone would like to contribute a reflection, we will publish them here in The Spartacus. Send your comments and thoughts to us at [email protected].