The student news site of Miami Country Day School in Miami, Florida

The Spartacus

The Spartacus

The Spartacus

College Anticipation Hits Fever Pitch

Stress Grips Miami Country Day High School Students
    Photograph by Sam Weisberg

As the college application season reaches its peak, anxiety and stress levels among high school students at Miami Country Day School have surged, with many grappling with the pressure of being accepted into their dream universities.

Seniors are nervously awaiting admission decisions from colleges and the stress of school work. The competition for acceptance has also intensified amongst students, amplifying the stress on students who spent their entire high school careers waiting for this moment. 

The academic pressure, coupled with the uncertainty of college acceptance, has led to sleepless nights, increased visits to college advisors,  and a spike in stress-related health issues among students. One senior said that they had trouble sleeping and getting up early in the morning because they were awaiting an acceptance from their dream school.

“I’ve never seen stress levels like this before. Seniors are constantly checking their emails, logging into admission portals, and discussing acceptance rates. Grades are kind of finishing up now and I think that everyone is somewhat worried,” says Lindsey Temes, a senior at MCDS.

The competitive nature of college admissions has raised concerns about mental health, prompting discussions among parents, educators, and school administrators on how to address the growing challenges faced by students. The school has even gone as far to disclosing college acceptances in the school announcements, but later changed the decision after student outrage.

The school administration is encouraging  parents to engage in open conversations with their children about their college aspirations and to emphasize the importance of balance and well-being during this critical period. 

As the college anticipation saga unfolds, the MCDS community watches closely, hoping for positive outcomes for its high school seniors while recognizing the need for a collective effort to address the mental health challenges associated with the college admissions process.