SEED hosts its first ever student retreat

Pictured: (from left to right) Mrs. Ingrid DeBlasio, Ms. Kelly Pierce, Skyler Carter, Mr. Hiram Rosas and Alejandra Valdes

When a group of thirty-one students and faculty convened over the weekend for a S.E.E.D. retreat at the Deauville Hotel in Miami Beach, the topic was diversity and equality in our community. S.E.E.D. is a club at Miami Country Day School that stands for “Seeking Educational Equity and Diversity.”  Upper School Director Glen Turf stressed, “The purpose of the SEED retreat is…to come together to not only discuss issues related to diversity, but also to formulate ideas or plans and bringing it back to the greater community at Miami Country Day School.”

Most went into the retreat knowing only a few people and came out of the retreat as a diverse group of 31 friends including teachers from lower, middle and upper school, along with members of staff and students from 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th grade. “Before I came, I didn’t necessarily expect it to be so in depth, I didn’t expect to really end up sharing so much with myself and learn so much about everyone else,” said sophomore Skyler Carter, when asked about her experience. Some “enlightening” activities from the retreat included: Analyzing Jamaica Kincaid’s “Girl”,sharing the symbolism behind our names, a mindfulness meditation conducted by Meribeth Shank, and discussions of sexism, strength and dominance in Disney films.

Overall, participants felt the weekend was a success. “It was very eye opening and very interactive, the people here all have a common goal…so it’s  very open and accepting, ” said sophomore Rashad Heagle. SEED plans on “continuing the great work,” according to Mr.Turf, who believes there will be more planned in the future.”I am going to do anything in my power to make it happen. What I would love to happen would be to do one twice a year; in the fall and in the spring.”