Filed under Campus News, Showcase

Community Service Opportunities

Scaring for Caring preparing for annual Haunted House.

Community service is extremely important in the MCDS community and is something students and teachers take very seriously. Upper school students must complete twenty-five hours of community service each year as a graduation requirement, but they often complain about not knowing about the service opportunities that happen throughout the school year.

The Community Service Board has already approved five new service projects this year, which are great opportunities for students to get service hours. Clothing drives, haunted house building, even attending a dance are ways to increase hours.

There are many drives going on right not which are easy ways for students to get service hours. In October there is a drive to collect costumes, old and new, for homeless children. These costumes go to the Miami Rescue Mission and there are boxes outside of Mrs. Pierce’s office to collect the costumes. Another seasonal service project which is running from now through December is Operation Christmas Card. This drive is collecting presents for orphans ages three to fourteen, so that the children can receive a holiday box on Christmas. Additionally there are numerous drives going on to collect supplies for hurricane and earthquake relief in Puerto Rico and Mexico respectively run by Mrs. Gomez-Martin and all supplies can be delivered to her room in the Upper School. Clothing for hurricane relief is being collected by the Athletic Board and can be delivered to the Athletic Office in the gym. If you miss these drives and procrastinate getting your service hours there will be a clothing and school supplies drive to help support a school in Brazil in the second semester.

Another service opportunity is the Scaring for Caring Haunted House which takes place on Halloween night. Students may volunteer to participate or help build the Haunted House and earn service hours depending on how many hours they volunteer for. Additionally, students will get service hours for attending the Homecoming Dance this year because the entrance fee will be going towards Scaring for Caring. Four service hours will be awarded for attending the dance and then additional hours will be awarded to those who donate more.

If none of these service projects appeal to you, you are able to pitch your own idea to the Community Service Board. All you have to do is fill out a form from Mrs. Sennett’s office, which is located in the SAC, and then pitch your idea to the Board.