Filed under Campus News, Showcase

There Goes the Bell…

When the class or day's over, what sound should we hear?

Photograph by K Davis

Photograph by K Davis

Of all the sounds in the world, why does ours have to be a “cruise ship” jingle to signify the end of class? The new bell has been described as “medicine time in a hospital”, “a train in Europe” “a sound in an airport”, “ice cream truck” or as teacher Karen Davis tells her students, “And the buffet is now open on the Lido deck.”

There has been a lot of  discussion and dispute among students and teachers alike about the new sound and also whether the five-minute bell should have been removed.   

In a poll crafted and conducted by Senior Daniel Gallup (who in all fairness is also the Editor of The Spartacus) that went to students and faculty in the Upper School there were 190 respondents. Of those, 81 percent said they were unhappy with the new sound. Nearly 11% were indifferent and only 4% said they were fans.

When we spoke to some of those who responded, we found both negative and positive attitudes toward the new sound.

Senior Evelyn Abramowitz says it’s not the sound that frustrates her, she is simply confused as to what the current bell determines in the school day. “I don’t understand what’s happening. Is it 5 minutes? 7 minutes? Did I miss my flight?” She says she doesn’t know if she’s late or early to a class and that the five-minute bell is necessary to orient herself throughout the school day.

There are also the students who find the new bell sound very annoying. Along with Abramowitz, 10th grader Guilianna Bruce agrees that the five-minute bell is necessary. She says a bell is meant to wake someone, as it “marks the rebirth of class and death of a lesson,”  but this bell is “anticlimactic” and that she feels like she’s not at school. Bruce exclaims that she “wants answers”.

On the other hand, 11th grader Sophia Gostfrand does not care about the new bell changes. Gostfrand thinks that a bell shouldn’t have so much effect on someone’s life and that people are making

a big deal out of nothing.

A rather unique perspective comes from Peter Konen. He wants the first ten seconds of the song “Panama” by Van Halen to be the new bell. “If the bells did that, I would be happy.”

On another note, Scott Brennan is excited that the school is one step closer to having no bells. He believes that someone should know when they have to go without the need of a bell. His frustration with the old bell was the loudness and sound chosen which gave him anxiety. Mr. Brennan is accepting of the new bell with a softer sound and thinks that removing the five-minute bell was the correct decision.

Several teachers have compiled their thoughts on the new bell while listening to their student’s perspectives. They think removing the five-minute bell was the correct decision out of frustration of their students packing up their supplies with five minutes of class to spare. Although not all students have made the argument that it helps them know when a class is ending to wrap up what assignment they’re doing, such as an essay.

There have been many ideas about what the sound should be, but here’s a new one: what about simply having a bell? A real bell? Who would have thought a bell had so much impact on Country Day?!

Gabriella Marchesani, Staff Reporter

Gabriella Marchesani, Staff Reporter, strives to improve her skills as an aspiring journalist, whether it is by reporting, photographing, writing or editing...

4 Comments

4 Responses to “There Goes the Bell…”

1. Addyson Greene on November 5th, 2018 11:42 pm

I am new to Miami Country Day this year. I am just getting used to the whole idea of a bell when one day I arrive at school just before the first bell of the day to a really loud 1990’s text tone! I feel that the old bells helped me throughout the day, even though in certain areas of the campus it wasn’t as loud as other areas, but the new bell is softer than the old one! I think they should change the bell back to the way it was because the old bell wasn’t bothering anyone and everyone was already used to it. I’m still not used to the idea of a new bell, and now I have to get rid of the sound of one, and get used to another!

2. Daniel on November 8th, 2018 11:27 am

This new is bell is not the best fit. Whoever is in charge should reconsider.

3. Kira Browning on November 8th, 2018 11:31 am

Though the controversy surrounding the new bell is almost humorous, the dismay of the masses should not be taken lightly. As a student, I find that it is easier to succeed in a learning environment that feels more comfortable. I have to agree with the majority, the new bell does make me somewhat uncomfortable.

4. Michael Puglise on November 8th, 2018 11:31 am

I understand that among the MCDS community there are differences in opinion on the new bell. Personally, I liked the sound of the old bell better because it felt like a normal school bell.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• There Goes the Bell…

Campus News

The Bell Has Timed Out…

• There Goes the Bell…

Campus News

Living Doll Experience Celebrates Loving the Skin You’re In

• There Goes the Bell…

Campus News

Moving Into Movember

• There Goes the Bell…

Campus News

Saying Good-Bye to Mr. Ball

• There Goes the Bell…

Campus News

Be There to be SCARED!

• There Goes the Bell…

Spartan TV

Beware of Devils in Disguise!

• There Goes the Bell…

HOMECOMING

HOCO LATEST STANDINGS!

• There Goes the Bell…

Campus News

Thursday’s Standings: Sophomores Lead!

• There Goes the Bell…

HOMECOMING

Sophomores Win the Battle! Check out the Video!

• There Goes the Bell…

Spartan TV

Youth Voting: Does It Matter?

There Goes the Bell…