Dear Head of School…A Spartacus Special Series

First Installment: Middle School Speaks

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mrs. Finny's Advisory

Mrs. Finny's Advisory

Photograph by K Davis

Mrs. Finny's Advisory

Photograph by K Davis

Photograph by K Davis

Mrs. Finny's Advisory

As Miami Country Day School honors the end of an era under the guidance of Dr. John Davies, we now look toward welcoming the new Head of School, ushering in the next chapter to our vibrant and active Spartan community life. All around campus, many Spartans look forward to meeting Mrs. Mariandl Hufford. In an effort to give voice to all members of our community and to collectivize the hopes and wishes that we have for what our new head of school will bring to enrich our whole child experience, Reporter Abbey Tomkinson will be traveling across campus to capture the sentiments, wishes,  hopes and questions of Spartans across grade levels.

This is the first in our new series “Dear Head of School.”  

My first journey brought me to Mrs. Finny’s sixth grade advisory. The keen students there participated in an active round table discussion with me. Students presented qualities which they believe makes a strong head of school, including respect, strong collaboration skills, good listening, empathy, good planning skills and active involvement with the community. The students ardently agreed about the importance of interaction between the head of school and the student body.

“Something we’d like from a headmaster is for them to know the school and students in a good way, to be able to understand them get and involved with their school work and what they are going through,” said sixth grade class officer Caterina Serrano-Bigles. She added, “Interaction is what makes a good leader.”

Other students eagerly proposed numerous ways the new Head of School could get involved with middle school students, from simple things such as visiting middle school during break to a get-to-know the head of school type of “game” event.

Students expanded on the previous concepts of respect and good listening skills to apply them to interactions between the head of school and students. Students voiced that they believed a head of school who could adapt to students creativity, and help implement this creativity in classroom learning, would enhance their classroom experience.

Class officers Jack Eaton and Victoria Alves agreed. “I’d like a head of school who is thoughtful towards the student’s experience and how they may want to participate,” said Jack. Victoria agreed, adding, “It’d be nice to see more democracy in what students get to do, to be able to adapt to the learning style of students and how they want to interact in class.”

With all the talent and inquisitive thought that imbues the Middle School, there is no doubt they would do amazing things with their classroom learning and add to the community experience. From what I’ve heard, middle school most looks forward to getting to know the new head of school on a personal level as someone who will support their creativity and independent thought.

Stay tuned for more reflections on what the Spartan community hopes for the coming school years under the new Head of School.

Abbey Tomkinson, Staff Reporter

Abbey is a senior and, while she has contributed to The Spartacus in the past, this is her first year as an active staff reporter.  She loves photography,...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Dear Head of School…A Spartacus Special Series”

1. Helen Kunde on October 11th, 2018 9:36 am

This is a wonderful idea! Not only will it be interesting and informative for Mrs. Hufford, but it helps our entire community hear different perspectives. Thank you for your reporting.

2. Samuel Brown on October 11th, 2018 7:43 pm

Great start to the series, Abbey. I look forward to reading more, and agree with these sixth graders that effective leaders frequently spend time interacting with the members of their community.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Dear Head of School…A Spartacus Special Series

Letters to the Editor

The Fear I Carry

Op-Ed: Spartans Speak

“Women Don’t Get Paid Less…” Oh yeah?

• Op-Ed: Spartans Speak

Spartans Speak Out About the Planet

Op-Ed: Spartans Speak

What is the strongest weapon? One Opinion.

Op-Ed: Spartans Speak

Ode to Ms. Lew

Letters to the Editor

Protecting the National Anthem- One Opinion

• Op-Ed: Spartans Speak

The Conversation Must Continue…

Op-Ed: Spartans Speak

First Day of School Crushed by Irma

Op-Ed: Spartans Speak

Who Knew Sir Ken was a Comedian?

Spartan TV

SAGE and Dietary Restrictions